Some of you might think that black mold is the only nightmare that appears on your ceiling and wall. However, it’s not absolutely that true. Other molds like green mold can be something terrifying. Not only does the shamrock stuff mess your home design but it can cause sickness.
Table of Contents
1. What is Green Mold?
Green mold is the general term for green fungus with spores. It doesn’t refer to a particular kind of mold. There are some species often seen at home. Three of them include Aspergillus, Cladosporium, and Penicillium. Aspergillus is regularly found on wall rich in oxygen.
Speaking of which, turns out that mold doesn’t only appear in green color but also brown, yellow, and grey. Some varieties are even used for a medical purpose.
Cladosporium has a good ability in adapting its surrounding. There is no wonder that it thrives well in warm and cool areas. In another chance, it sometimes appears in brown.
At home, the creature loves remaining in a spot with a high level of humidity. It’s usually on walls or lives comfortably under your wet carpet.
What about Penicillium? Some often associate it with penicillin. Keep in mind; penicillin is not mold—it’s actually a type of antibiotic. When you see green mold on bread, never think it’s safe to devour since it’s simply penicillin.
The fungi will harm you instead. Again, don’t get it wrong! When it comes to appearance, it highlights a bluish-green shade. It conveniently resides in wet insulation and other damp places.
2. Diseases Caused by Green Mold
Is green mold dangerous? The direct answer is yes. Green mold can lead to some health troubles mainly the respiratory matters. Aspergillus itself is the guy behind breathing infections like pneumonia and bronchitis.
Additionally, you have a right to blame it since it’s the cause of lung inflammations. Meanwhile, Penicillium is the root why some people have sinus disease.
Read also: Mold in Lungs – How to Get It Out?
If you have allergic reactions, there is no better way other than keeping it off. Green mold makes your allergy problem get worse. Those suffering this normally go through skin rashes as well as hives.
The severe case indicates that the symptoms include swelling on the throat and the same is true with difficulty in inhalation. Other indications you need to realize cover sneezing, runny nose, coughing problem, and eyes tending to be watery.
The process how it can affect your physical state starts from the invasion carried out by the mold’s spore. When the mold finds an exact condition it likes, the organism multiplies and reaches its full maturity.
The mold spore is finally actively produced and air-borne. It spreads widely and is inadvertently inhaled by people. Then, it contacts your nose, eyes, as well as mouth.
3. Certain Green Mold Can Produce Toxin
In particular ways, the green mold is toxic. Yes, most out of molds release their spore affecting people’s health and immune system. Despite so, only some that generate mycotoxins (usually obtainable within the spore).
The bad news is that mycotoxins can cause multifarious diseases from immediate to the chronic one. According to an investigation, sufferers even experience paralysis, confusion, and loss of sensation.
If you think that black mold is considered the most toxic, then your assumption totally is false. The dark stuff is just a toxic mold. Surprisingly, green mold varieties like Aspergillus and Penicillium are the guys producing the most poisonous substance. They can turn into something devastating in a right environment.
4. Tips to Remove Green Mold
Thus, how to get rid of green mold? The removal procedure basically depends on the material where the molds live on it. To eliminate green mold on wood, ensure that you use any protective gear like air mask, safety goggles, and rubber gloves before cleaning up.
Then, vacuum the moldy area thoroughly, rub the affected surface with a soft-bristled brush, and pour the soapy solution. The mixture comprises warm water and detergent.
If the soapy water doesn’t work out, you might have a try on vinegar solution – one of the most recommended mold exterminators. To use it, just spray the areas and leave them for an hour. Afterward, wipe the wooden area down with a dry towel.
Another alternative to end the life cycle of the mold is nothing else but having a go with the diluted bleach. It’s even somehow stronger than vinegar. Combine it with washing detergent and warm water.
How about getting rid of green mold on walls? First of all, don the protective clothes and spray the affected area with a fungicide. Let the sprayed spot for about 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse it with water and dry it with the towel.
Another option would be applying disinfectant soap and warm water. Whilst pouring it over the wall, don’t forget to rub the surface. Then, leave it for around 15 minutes and take the drying step.
Read also: 9 Ways to Remove Mold
5. How to Prevent Green Mold
Green mold can be prevented with some easy ways. You can start by making sure that your environment doesn’t have a high level of moisture. If it’s proven to be elevated, immediately open your windows and doors when the sun rises in the morning.
Let the sunlight comes inside your home and brings the fresh air in. If this condition is impossible, you can take full advantage of a dehumidifier. Do regular housework with the machine to reduce the damp.
As green mold infestation flourishes in a clammy place, always inspect your room and other house parts. Once wet is spotted, never hesitate to remove it.
Good ventilation is another factor you can’t play down. With proper ventilation, the chance for green mold to thrive can be cut down. The mold-resistant drywall also is helpful to prevent the mold invasion.
In a few words, green mold infestation even can be more hazardous than black mold. The greenish-colored fungus is the reason why some people suffer from breathing and lung issues. Getting rid of the lush colonies is quite simple with either vinegar solution or diluted bleach.